Today I’m posting about using space outside your house increase your usable area. As you will see in the pictures this is not so much about entertainment space as it is about work space. On this project we took an inside corner and made it into a small work area protected from the elements. Using the two existing walls of the house we were able to create a sheltered work area outside with very minimal impact on the rest of the yard area. We built the roof to mimic the other roof slope on the house and then put in a concrete walk from the back door to the work area for year round, mud free access. Since there was already an exterior light on one of the walls it made it easy to change the fixture and gain extra light. We also poured concrete for the floor of the work shed area.
Here is another deck we recently upgraded for a customer. This project consisted of replacing the perimeter decking with a new darker composite deck, installing new vinyl lattice skirting, and installing the handrails. As you can see from the first few pictures the old grey decking was removed, the customer had a real problem keeping it clean. We installed Trex Transcends around the perimeter and on the steps. Once completed we installed the vinyl lattice to improve the looks and add protection against creatures being able to go underneath her deck. The handrails are made of stainless steel flanges and galvanized exterior steel piping. The posts are pressure treated with a vinyl post wrap complete with footing and cap. This type of handrail allows for great transparency, a stylish look and low maintenance. I think it makes for a nice looking easy to maintain and enjoyable outdoor living space.
Here are a couple pictures showing the transition of a fireplace remodel. We started with a simple sketch which showed the customer an idea of what we were going to do. Next, the work began with the demolition of the old faux brick paneling, installation and finishing of new drywall. We then installed new backer board where the slate would be installed and began setting the stone. We not only put the slate behind the fireplace but also across the front of the platform as well. With the stone inplace, we painted and installed the stained wood trim. I think this turned out great and the customer was extremely happy.
Here are a couple photos from the completed remodel project we did in Des Moines. This project involved replacing the walls, ceiling, floors, countertops and base trim. We also redesigned the fire place area to make it the vocal point in the living space. The rock around the fireplace is a multi-colored slate with a stained hemlock wood trim wrap. The countertops are granite with a single slab cut and placed on the old table to match the rest of the kitchen countertops. All the walls and ceilings were removed and redone with new drywall and texture. The floors are a hickory laminate floating floor. There are also new light fixtures by the fireplace and in the kitchen. The changes on this house make it a warm, inviting and comfortable place to live. I know the new owner is very happy with these upgrades.
Phase two of this project is under way. We are installing new Hardi lap cement siding on this house. The old siding, LP lap siding is an engineered wood product which has rotted out over time. This especially happened around the windows on the weather side of the house. We removed the old siding, did some wall sheathing repairs and are installing the new Hardi siding. We also are installing new wood trim around the windows with a z metal flashing for better protection. Check back for he next post were I will detail exactly what we did do make the windows more water tight and protected.
The first picture shows the front of the house with the old siding and the side with the new siding. The second picture is a closer look. The new siding come pre-primed so it pretty much ready to paint once installed.
So here’s a picture of the fireplace with all the stone on. I will be putting some wood trim around the perimeter to create a bit of a mantle. This turned out to be a really nice change from the old to the new. Posted here are the before and after pics. Next week I’ll be finished with this whole project so check back for completed project photos and notes.